As the weather cools down, warm up your space with the rich, velvety aroma of matcha chocolate chip cookies. Matcha and dark chocolate come together to give you a treat packed with antioxidants and zenergy – that's oh so delicious. Check out the full recipe below!
If you've ever cooked or baked with matcha before, you know that it is a deliciously complex flavor packed with tons of health benefits.
Which matcha is best for baking?
Matcha is divided into two main grades: Ceremonial and Culinary (cooking grade). Ceremonial is the highest quality matcha grade and comes from premium first harvest tea leaves called Camellia Sinensis. Ceremonial grade matcha is most suitable for ceremonial-style matcha drinking - with water alone.
On the other hand, culinary grade matcha is perfect for cooking and baking due to its stronger flavor profile and lower price. We recommend using Encha Culinary Grade matcha powder when making these delicious chocolate chip matcha cookies.
What does matcha taste like?
Matcha has a very unique flavor that is often referred to as umami with grassy, nutty, and sweet notes. Matcha's flavor is very complex and that is what has lead to its popularity and appeal. Encha's Culinary Grade Matcha powder is ideal for cooking and baking, due to its perfectly balanced flavor profile of grassy, nutty and sweet undertones, with subtle bitterness compared to ceremonial grade matcha. Matcha green tea powder is a wonderful way to add a unique flavor to your baking as well as adding the many health benefits associated with matcha.
Time: 25 minutes | Serving: 12 cookies
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp Encha Culinary-Grade Matcha
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour and matcha in a medium bowl.
- In a separate, large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla, and salt. Beat until smooth.
- Fold in flour and stir until the mixture comes together.
- Fold in chocolate chips, and stir until you have a smooth dough.
- Spoon the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Gently press the cookies to flatten.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Choose high-quality Encha Organic Matcha for the best flavor and vibrant green color.
- Adjust the matcha quantity to your preference. You can increase it slightly for a more pronounced matcha flavor.
- For an extra touch, sprinkle some matcha powder on top of the cookies before baking.
- Don't overmix the dough to avoid tough cookies. Mix until the dry ingredients are just incorporated.
- Experiment with different types of chocolate chips, like white chocolate or dark chocolate chunks, to vary the flavor profile.
Matcha chocolate chip cookies offer a delightful fusion of flavors and a unique twist on a classic treat. These cookies not only satisfy your sweet tooth but also provide the antioxidant benefits of matcha. So, roll up your sleeves, grab some Encha matcha, and embark on a culinary journey that combines the joy of baking with the goodness of green tea. Enjoy!