Matcha Waffle Recipe: Vegan Gluten-Free Coconut Encha Organic Matcha Waffle
Encha Waffle: Organic Vegan Gluten-Free Coconut Matcha Waffle
Created by Dr. Gong, Encha Team
Make time: 15 minutes
Organic, Natural, Vegan, Dairy-free, Gluten-free
I forgot about waffle for a long time since I associated it with butter, cream, and heavy.
Now with Encha Organic Matcha and coconut oil, waffle is never the same again.
Only with high-quality organic matcha, your matcha waffle will look beautifully green, not yellow. Ready to make? Simple and delicious!
Ingredients: Serves 3-4 waffles
- 2 tsp Encha Organic Matcha (Culinary-grade Encha, from premium 2nd harvest in Japan, is recommended, for its stronger taste to blend with other ingredients)
- 1.5 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 cup coconut milk (adjust to match the density of your flour)
- Natural sweetener of your choice: e.g., organic maple syrup.
- Toppings you love: Blueberry, raspberry, coconut flakes, almond flakes...
- Add all dry ingredients to a large batter bowl and pour in the coconut milk.
- Blend them until smooth. An immersion blender blends them very well.
- Preheat your waffle maker and then spray it with olive or coconut oil.
- Cook batter according to your maker's typical cooking time (mine is about 5 mins).
- Your kitchen will be filled with the coconut aroma and the subtle toasty matcha flavor.
- Enjoy taking out the soft, beautifully green waffle, fresh off the grid.
- Definitely take time to decorate your Encha waffle with maple syrup, fresh raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, shredded coconut flakes, almond flakes...Food party time!
Summer 2023 Update:
Summer breakfast for two: Encha waffle and iced matcha tea.
* Share your Encha waffle and organic matcha tea or latte on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter #MyEncha
These vegan matcha waffles have become a summer favorite, and the fact that they are vegan makes them even more appetizing! We highly recommend you make these, and we can almost guarantee that there's no other way you will want to make your waffles.
Why Encha matcha?
When it comes to matcha, Encha transcends the realm of ordinary brands. It's not just a tea; it's a journey into the heart of authentic Japanese culture and craftsmanship. What sets Encha apart is its unwavering dedication to the matcha-making art, a legacy passed down through generations. Sourced from a single organic farm in Japan, Encha's matcha embodies the essence of pristine fields, meticulous harvesting, and expert processing. Every sip is a voyage into the verdant landscapes of Uji, where centuries of tradition meet modern sustainability practices.
Encha's commitment to transparency is a testament to their integrity, providing a level of trust that's rare in today's market. Choosing Encha isn't just about tea; it's an invitation to join a community that cherishes the finer things in life, one vibrant, velvety cup of matcha at a time. Choosing Encha matcha tea is choosing a tastier, more authentic, and more vibrant matcha tea.
What is matcha, and why use it in waffle recipes?
Matcha is a finely ground green tea powder known for its vibrant green color and unique flavor profile. It's rich in antioxidants and has a delightful earthy, slightly sweet taste. When added to waffle batter, matcha not only imparts a beautiful green hue but also adds a pleasant, subtly sweet, and slightly nutty flavor. The fun part is that the vibrant green color of matcha is a healthy alternative to food coloring, and gives your waffles a unique green color!
Can I substitute regular flour with matcha powder in my waffle recipe?
While you can incorporate matcha powder into your waffle recipe, it's typically used as a flavor enhancer or coloring rather than a complete flour substitute. Matcha is best combined with traditional waffle ingredients like flour, baking powder, eggs, and milk. We recommend using one to two tablespoons of matcha powder per cup of flour to achieve the desired matcha flavor without compromising the waffle's texture and structure.
Are there any health benefits to adding matcha to waffles?
Yes, there are several potential health benefits to adding matcha to your waffle recipe. Matcha is packed with antioxidants called catechins, which may support heart health and boost your immune system. Additionally, it contains L-theanine, an amino acid that can provide a sense of relaxation and mental alertness. While waffles are still a treat, incorporating matcha can make them a slightly healthier indulgence, offering a unique blend of flavor and potential health perks.