Encha is an exclusively-organic matcha brand. We literally practice “farm to cup” to ensure quality, reduce trading layers, and support everyone in the community to have their perfect cup of organic matcha.
After Encha Founder, Dr. Li Gong (Stanford Ph.D. 2001), discovered an amazing organic matcha farm in Uji, Kyoto, Japan, we work directly with the farm. We have the visibility into the entire process, from growing to grinding, in matcha farming. Once Encha matcha is ground and seal-packaged in the farm, it doesn’t get opened again until you open it to enjoy its health nutrients and natural organic flavor.
Click here to see the independent reports which verify that Encha is USDA-certified organic, has no radioactivity, and has no lead.
Encha only offers pure and organic matcha green tea powder from 1st and 2nd harvests. No additives, no preservatives, non-GMO.
Matcha is the shade-grown green tea powder that is finely ground from the whole leaves. It has a unique farming technique compared to regular green tea plants. That is shading. Green tea plants intended for matcha are shaded from the bright sun for about 3 weeks before harvest. During shading, the matcha green tea plants grow more mentally calming theanine and the naturally green chlorophyll.
With the shading technique and the practice of grinding the whole leaves, Encha Organic Matcha offers three amazing properties of health benefits and wonderful taste.
1. Antioxidant Efficacy: You consume all the nutrients in the green tea leaf through matcha powder, including the powerful antioxidant – Catechins (EGCG and more). About 12% of Encha powder is the Catechins. Half of the Catechins in Encha powder is EGCG. The amount of catechins is roughly equal to what is infused from 10 cups of brewed green tea.
2. Mental Focus: Matcha has more theanine than regular green tea leaf because matcha plants are shade-grown for about 3 weeks before the harvest. Shaded growth gives matcha more theanine. Theanine with caffeine in Encha helps make us feel calm and alert at the same time – Zenergy.
3. Smooth Taste: Matcha tastes softer and smoother than the regular green tea leaf if you were to eat the leaf, because the stems are removed in processing and only leaf pulp is ground into fine powder. The higher amount of theanine also adds a softer taste.
To understand more about the health benefits of matcha green tea powder, read scientific studies reviewed by Dr. Li Gong.
The reason is very simple. Tea leaves have no protection. You can't even rinse matcha powder. So we don’t want to ingest any harmful residues from pesticides and synthetic chemical fertilizers which are used in conventional farming. Only about 1% of teas sold in the U.S. is organic. The more we buy organic, the stronger demand signals we are sending to other farmers and the entire world to go organic.
• Bio-dynamic Ecosystem: Organic tea fields tend to be in a diverse bio-dynamic ecosystem like the Encha farm in the video.
• No Pesticide: You are more likely to see other plants like wild flowers next to organic tea plants, due to no pesticide.
• Natural Organic Fertilizer: Organic tea plants are fed with organic natural fertilizers (e.g., residuals of extracted seeds and composted leaves).
See USDA site for the detailed requirements of organic farming.